4.0 Stars based on 291
Instructions to prepare bachchalikura pappu
Sodium, Fiber, vitamin A, Vitamin C, Calcium, Iron, Carbohydrates, proteins.
1 small cup tur dal/red gram dal/kandi pappu
2 cups chopped and tightly packed bachali kura/malabar spinach
1 onion, chopped
big pinch turmeric powder
2-3 green chilies
1/2 tsp chopped ginger
salt to taste
1 tbsp tamarind paste
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp urad dal/minappa pappu/split gram dal (optional)
3-4 garlic cloves, crushed
2 dry red chilies de-seed and tear
10-12 fresh curry leaves
2-3 tsps oil
- In a pressure cooker, put red gram dal, bachali kura (Malabar spinach), onions, green chilies, ginger and turmeric powder.
- Add 2 cups of water and pressure cook up to 3 whistles.
- Then take a vessel and put oil and let it heat, then add mustard seeds and as they jump around, add cumin seeds, urad dal, garlic, red chilies and curry leaves and stir fry for half a minute.
- Add this to the pressure cooked dal and put salt and mix it well.
- Add tamarind paste with 1/2 cup of water and cook on low to medium flame for 7-10 minutes without lid. Then serve it with rice or chapati.